Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Communions and Little Flowers!


Welcome to another Tuesday.  We have been quite busy in both kitchens.  We were cupcake central on Friday and Saturday, then quickly shifted to communion and graduation headquarters!  This week we made a simply gorgeous First Communion cake we would like to share with you.

One of our clients wanted a very special cake for her little girl's communion on Sunday.  It was to be a square vanilla cake filled with fresh strawberries, topped with buttercream icing, then completely covered in fondant.  That was the easy and delicious part.  While the fondant was soft, we had to emboss the sides with the diamond pattern.  Fondant dries very quickly, so we had to move fast.  After that was done, we had to hand roll and cut out each little flower to place in each corner of the diamonds.  Let me tell you, it may sound easy, but it sure is time consuming.  I was so kind as to find another cutter so that Victoria could join in the fun.  I called her many times, and this may sound familiar, but she was no where to be found.  I went searching, and she was hiding behind the counter trying to tidy up an already clean counter.  She then offered to wash dishes, in heels!  Well, I went forward, alone, and sang along to the ipod a little louder - private concerts are always fun first thing in the morning!  Once I attached all the little flowers, I had to go back and place a tiny pearl in the center of each.  A few bows in the four corners and the cross on top finished off this gorgeous cake.  Congratulations Catarina Elisa on you First Communion.

So, enjoy the photos and our handiwork.  As special incentive and to help out Victoria, I propose that you each receive a free cupcake at our Manassas location through Friday, May 13 when you ask Victoria to custom make a flower on top!  If you want to visit me at our Centreville location, I will share a free chocolate chunk cookie (I'm munching on one now) through Friday.  Until next week, visit us at http://www.cakesbyhappyeatery.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment